|nutritional information (per serving)|
View full nutritional information
Hide full nutritional information
|amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Saturated Fat 5g||24%|
|dietary fiber 15g||55%|
|total sugar 3g|
|Vitamin C 21 mg||103%|
|Calcium 57 mg||4%|
|Iron 2 mg||10%|
|Potassium 1064 mg||23%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) indicates how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories per day is used for general nutritional advice.|
(Nutritional information is calculated using an ingredients database and should be considered an estimate.)
Avocado toast might roll some eyes for being such a trending food, but this healthy breakfast item is here to stay. It's not hard to see why: Crunchy whole wheat bread and mashed avocado go incredibly well together for the perfect crunchy, creamy bite. The possibilities for toppings are endless too!
This recipe was inspired by the original avocado toast from New York's Cafe Gitane, which the restaurant's website says is “New York's first” avocado toast. In addition to this must-have take on avocado toast, we've included several variations to help you take your toast to the next level (and inspire you to create your own flavorful version).
The best bread for avocado toast
A savory multigrain bread works best with avocado toast as it sticks underneath the thick avocado puree and adds tons of great flavor to the mix. However, if you don't have multigrain bread, you can use whatever bread you have on hand.
5 secrets to the best avocado toast
- Using ripe avocados: Before slicing your avocado for this recipe, make sure it's nice and ripe so it's easy to mash. It should be dark green or almost black, have bumpy skin, and give slightly when pressed lightly.
- Don't skip the lemon juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice is an essential ingredient in avocado toast—not only to prevent the avocado from browning prematurely, but also because the citrus enhances the overall deliciousness and adds a tart note to the rich avocado.
- Add a splash of olive oil: Olive oil not only adds to the luxury of the avocado toast, it also gives the mix a slightly fruity, peppery flavor and a pleasant spiciness.
- Choose Flake Salt: While you can use any type of salt for this recipe, a flaky sea salt like Maldon on avocado toast works particularly well, and the large flakes also make for an inviting presentation.
- Sprinkle some red pepper flakes on top: A few red pepper flakes are not absolutely necessary, but give the avocado toast a visually appealing touch and ensure a pleasant spiciness.
Click play to watch this avocado toast recipe put together
What is the difference between avocado toast and guacamole toast?
Avocado toast is little more than mashed avocado spread on toast. Meanwhile, guacamole toast is exactly what it sounds like — guacamole toast spread made from mashed avocado with additions like onions, cilantro, and chilies.
What to serve with avocado toast
Poached eggs, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, and hard-boiled eggs all pair beautifully with avocado toast, whether you serve them as a side dish or on top. If you're serving avocado toast for lunch or dinner, you can complement the meal with a side salad or bowl of soup. Or choose one of the many avocado toast toppers in the recipe below.
“I didn't think I needed an avocado toast recipe until I tried this one and realized I was missing a key ingredient for the most delicious avocado toast: freshly squeezed lemon juice. This avocado toast is great for breakfast, lunch, or even a light dinner — especially when you top it with an egg.” — Megan O. Steintrager
2 thick slices multigrain toast
1 teaspoon lemon juiceFreshly squeezed
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon sea-saltif possible flaky
Gather the ingredients.
Toast the bread slices to the desired crispiness.
Cut the avocado, deseed and remove from the shell.
Mash the avocado with a fork in a small bowl until desired consistency is reached. Mix in the lemon juice while blending. A fork works best, but you can use a mortar and pestle if you prefer.
Divide the avocado mixture between the two slices of toast. Drizzle olive oil over each slice. Top each piece with a pinch of red pepper flakes and salt and serve immediately.
8 great avocado toast variations
- Avocado toast with feta: Lemon juice, crumbled feta, and sliced cherry tomatoes combine for a salty, tangy side dish with a hint of sweetness.
- Cream Cheese Avocado Toast: Mexican Queso Fresco is another irresistible, crumbly and salty cheese that pairs perfectly with mashed avocados. Add a pinch of chili powder and a squeeze of lime juice to add even more flavor to your toast.
- Avocado Toast with Poached Egg: Everything tastes better with an egg on it, even avocado toast! A sprinkling of hot sauce and sea salt make this breakfast everything you crave.
- Creamy Sriracha, Radish, and Spring Onion Avocado Toast: For extra crunch and a flavorful kick, add chopped scallions, radishes, and a drizzle of Sriracha mayonnaise.
- All Bagel Avocado Toast: Sprinkle some bagel seasoning on top before serving. Or spread your mashed avocado on a toasted bagel.
- Tomato Basil Balsamic Avocado Toast: Transport yourself to the Italian coast with some beautiful red tomato slices, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and roughly torn basil leaves.
- Garlic Avocado Toast: Rub your multigrain toast with a sliced clove of garlic before topping it with the mashed avocado.
- Avocado toast with seeds: Sprinkle your avocado toast with pepitas or other seeds or nuts.